- About Us
- Inspection & Evaluation
- Ancillary Structures
- Bridge Design
- Load Rating
- Construction Management
- Construction Inspection
- Site Design
- Highway & Roadway Design
- Land Surveying
- Transportation & Traffic Engineering
- Water & Wastewater
Building Systems Engineering
- MEP - Building Systems
- Structural Engineering
- Sustainable Design
- Design-Build Services
- Bridge Engineering
- Contact Us
Metro-North New Haven Rail Yard Improvements
NEW HAVEN, CT
AI is providing multiple engineering services for this project to support a fleet of new trains for Metro North. The project includes thousands of feet of new storage and loop tracks, eight new buildings constructed and three building altered. A major portion of the work included the design of a new utility network for facility electrical, water, sewer and gas main distribution for the entire rail yard campus. AI coordinated this utility infrastructure work with both the new and existing tracks and existing railyard and future construction operations. The utility network includes:
- Design a new water distribution system that is looped by connecting to the water authority at three separate zones while preserving as much of the existing system as possible. A separate fire main is also provided using a separate looped line. The water authority system is protected from contamination using double check valve back flow preventers. Water mains under railroad tracks will be sleeved.
- Modify and expand the existing sanitrary sewer system including pump station relocation and new pump stations will be required.
- Modify and expand the existing gas mains as all existing and new buildings will use natural gas for heating.
- Electrical facility distribution for the yard facilities at 13.8kV with two loops. Step-down transformers are provided for each building. Substation design is included for the additional power requirements.
- Coordinate the relocation of a main overhead telephone and electric transmission line on railroad property.
- Establish the test pit locations, prepare a bid package for utility designating and locating program, obtain bids, oversee/inspect the program and provide field survey to acquire the data and tie into the project design survey.
- Design of new water distribution center
- Design of new utility network
- Code analysis, structural, M/E/P/FP and life safety improvements