CTDOT Metro-North New Haven Rail Yard Improvements - BUilding SyStems Engineering
New Haven, CT
AI, as a subconsultant to PB Americas, is providing engineering design services for this project. A total of eight new buildings are being constructed and three buildings altered that included new track, roadway and utility systems. AI is working with various architects, providing mechanical, electrical, plumbing, fire protection and structural design services for three major building projects. AI is also designing the water, sanitary sewer and electrical distribution infrastructure for the expanded yard. Our scope of work includes schematic, design development and final design documents and specifications, construction documents, cost estimates and contract administration services including submittal review. Projects include:
- Electrical Multiple Unit (EMU) Car Repair Shop - This existing building was renovated so that it can be used to perform repairs on a variety of different Metro-North and CTDOT train cars. It included a repair barn with an attached two-story, office building. AI provided the initial code compliance survey of the building and the design of any required safety repairs as part of its design task. AI provided mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and structural engineering services on this project. This included complete mechanical and electrical replacement that provided an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) unit for emergency lighting and the reinforcing of the office space roof framing system.
- Stores Building Improvements – This existing 10,000 sf. historic industrial building was renovated to provide a new compact storage system for the renovated space. AI provided structural engineering, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing services on this project. In addition to a complete upgrade and replacement of the existing building mechanical and electrical systems, the structural design for enlarging loading dock entry and adding new loading dock leveling systems was performed.
- Rail Car Wash Facility – This new 20,000 sf. multi-story facility provides enclosed automated car wash services for a variety of different Metro-North and CTDOT train cars. AI was responsible for providing mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and structural engineering services for this building.
- Client: CTDOT
- Duration: 2005 - 2017
- Project Scope:
- Design of new water distribution center
- Design of new utility network
- Code analysis, structural, M/E/P/FP and life safety improvements